The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization that carries out high quality and policy-relevant research on population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. The Center seeks to recruit a Community Development Officer to be based in Nairobi.
S/he will be responsible for coordinating all community engagement activities in support of the Center’s research, policy engagement and research capacity strengthening programs. The incumbent represents APHRC’s public image in the communities where it conducts research.
• Develop and manage APHRC’s partnerships with relevant Government departments, NGOs, community-based organizations and other relevant stakeholders as they relate to communities where we work;
• Mobilize resources from local and international sources to support defined community development activities;
• Facilitate effective operation of the various Community Advisory Groups (CAG);
• Facilitate community entry for new research projects by liaising with and explaining specific APHRC projects to community leaders, community members, governmental bodies and other groups as needed;
• Act as interface between the technical operation of research projects and participating community members;
• Produce briefings, reports and presentations on community mobilization activities and key community events;
• Perform essential administrative tasks, including planning, attending and coordinating community meetings and events;
producing minutes of CAG meetings;
• Oversee APHRC’s long-term corporate social responsibility programs in the communities;
• Respond to inquiries and complaints from community members;
• Mediate in matters of conflict between APHRC project staff and community members;
• Oversee the development and management of the budget for community activities; and
• Support capacity building of CBOs to be able to implement projects.
• Masters degree in Community Development, Public Relations, Communications, or related Social Sciences.
Experience and Skills:
• At least 5 years’ experience undertaking community development work;
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
• Excellent communication skills in both English and Kiswahili;
• Experience in fundraising;
• Experience working with marginalized communities will be an added advantage.
Interested candidates are invited to send applications via email no later thanJune 8, 2014, enclosing a detailed CV, quoting current and expected salary and providing contacts details of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address below. Please indicate Community Development Officer on the subject line of email or on the envelope. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center
P.O. Box 10787-00100, GPO, Nairobi