The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is recruited.
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization that carries out high quality, policy relevant research on population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. The Center seeks to recruit a Web Designer with modern web development and graphic design skills.
The suitable candidate is a creative, tech-savvy web designer with exciting new ideas on how to re-energize the Center’s online face using contemporary tools and designs to increase our website traffic and create more engaged users.
•Designing, developing and managing APHRC’s websites
• Revitalize the information architecture and link knowledge products to the Center’s program areas.
• Develop site content and graphics by coordinating with copywriters; designing images, icons, banners, audio enhancements, etc.
• Develop new ways to visualize and showcase our data focusing on new innovations in online communication (such as info-graphics, interactive web tools, blogging, and social media) to improve content presentation, access, use and feedback.
• Code graphic design projects into PHP files (such as the e-newsletter, new web blast templates, etc.)
• Manage links that enable users to share documents with friends and colleagues.
• Create and manage an easy-to-use content management system for the website.
• Develop friendly online fundraising options and work with the fundraising team to develop new ways to improve this functionality.
• Monitor performance and results, identifying and evaluating improvement options, introducing new technology and maintaining links.
• Provide weekly website analytics by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends and then optimize and generate ideas to increase traffic through the site.
• Implement and maintain website enhancements, security/privacy policies, user accounts, access rights, passwords, etc.
• Recommend and apply user experience approaches based upon the latest interactive trends and best practices in the industry.
• Degree in Graphic Design, IT or a related discipline. Additional communications qualifications will be an added advantage.
• At least 3 years relevant post-qualification experience.
• Programming language aptitude (particularly web design languages).
• Proven excellent graphic design and copy-writing skills.
• Demonstrated experience in creating info-graphics and or interactive web data visualizations.
• Multimedia skills such as podcast or webcast editing, video editing are a plus.
Web Graphic Design, Web Savvy, Planning, Web User Interface Design, Web Programming Skills, Illustration Tools, Multimedia Content Development, Understanding Browser Capabilities, Internet Presence, Excellent communications skills, and Team work.
Interested candidates are invited to send via email, their letter of application, portfolio of their design work and CV, which should include current and expected remuneration requirements, and contact details of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, indicate ‘Web Designer’ on the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi