The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization that carries out high quality, policy relevant research on population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. The Center seeks to fill the position of Development Manager.
The Development Manager will be responsible for spearheading the Center’s fundraising efforts, including business capture through rigorous donor research, oversight and coordination of proposals development, developing funder information systems, and managing funder relations. Specific duties and responsibilities will include:
• Review and implementation of the development and fundraising strategy of the Center with particular emphasis on unrestricted support, rolling out a capital campaign and domestic (within Africa) fundraising.
• Identification and cultivation of diverse range of funders including foundations, governments and individuals. This will include prospect research, development of new relations and maintenance of existing ones.
• Support processes of identifying partners for joint bids and provide the necessary due diligence. For partners funded through Center grants, the position will ensure that robust contracts are developed and continuous monitoring is done to ensure that partners meet their deliverables.
• Provide oversight on grants management and other development activities ensuring that timely and quality reports are sent to funders as per grant requirements. The Development Manager will provide leadership and direction to the unit staff who include an M & E Officer and Development Officer.
• Collaboratively work with program leaders to ensure funders’ requirements are met in program implementation.
• Offer support to program staff in managing and developing competitive proposals in response to funding opportunities, especially with respect to documentations and meeting the requirements of the call.
• Grow APHRC’s fundraising footprint across the region and in doing so strengthen the corporate brand.
• Work with the Program Leaders and the Policy Engagement and Communications division to ensure that funders are appraised on Center’s progress in the various programs.
A Masters degree in a relevant field.
Experience, Knowledge and Qualifications
• A minimum of 10 years of relevant progressive experience in international development with demonstrated senior management experience in fundraising and grants management;
• Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base;
• Experience in implementing donor programs is desirable;
• Solid understanding of the proposal development process, project management systems / best practices;
• Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate and manage new funders.
Skills and Abilities
• Strong relationship management skills developed through prior experience;
• Strong interpersonal, communication (written and oral) and facilitation skills;
• Editorial skills and experience will be an added advantage;
• Proven ability to motivate and coordinate multiple stakeholders;
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a highly dynamic environment.
Interested candidates are invited to send their letters of application and CV with contacts of three professional referees to the Human Resources Officer, APHRC by e-mail to email@example.com. The application should include the candidate’s current salary and benefits. This is an internationally recruited position and applicants from sub-Saharan Africa are encouraged to apply. Please indicate “Development Manager” on the e-mail subject-line. Application deadline is May 22, 2014. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.