Consultant: Development of Media and Social Media Strategy
Due Date: 2017-04-21
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, Africanled, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, and engaged in multidisciplinary, evidence-based policy research. Our researchers address important issues and challenges facing Africa in areas such as education, health, population, aging, urbanization and wellbeing. We engage with policy makers in the region to disseminate our research findings to influence policy decisions and improve the quality of life in Africa.
APHRC is moving to develop a Media Strategy that will:-
Guide generation of contact and interaction with traditional media outlets on the African continent and around the world.
Lead to increased visibility and discourse amongst various stakeholders and publics via traditional media platforms of Television, Radio and Print.
Inspire partnerships and dialogue building with, and integrated approach to policy reforms by multiple actors at community, national and continental level.
In addition, we aim to develop a Social Media Strategy that will:-
Guide generation of contact and interaction with online audiences
Increase visibility and discourse amongst various stakeholders and publics via digital social platforms.
Guide dialogue, and contribute to an integrated approach to policy reforms by multiple actors at community, national and continental level.
We seek to work with a strategy consultant for 23 working days to develop and design a comprehensive, combined media and social media strategy. The consultant will be supported by two in-house communications professionals.
Scope of Work
(a) Purpose and Objectives
The consultant is required to:
1. Provide a context and audience analysis for media and social media.
2. Document a risk analysis of engaging with media and being on social platforms, possible models of engagement indicating the advantages and disadvantages of each and recommendations on how to operationalize the most effective model.
3. Develop a medium and/or channel preference rationale, as well as a strategy, based on analysis of available platforms’ advantages and disadvantages for the Center.
4. Consolidate and input into a robust contact database of media and journalists dealing with APHRC thematic program areas.
5. Design and cost the strategy, and develop an operational plan with annual budgets and resource allocation per line item. The latter should include clear deliverable outcomes, indicators and a tool for implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the strategy.
1. SWOT analysis to identify media outlets to engage with, and how best to reach target audiences.
2. An analysis of social media highlighting available platforms, with recommendations on which to adopt based on target audience reach and activity. 3. Develop and test key messages for media and social media.
4. Establish a procedure and chronology of how to implement activities, within a media plan.
5. 5-year Media and Social Media Strategy in line with the current organizational Strategic Plan 2017-2021.
6. Develop a posting schedule, identify message formats with impact on platforms selected, and test key messages for social media.
7. Establish implementation, monitoring and tools for evaluation of the Media and Social Media Strategy.
8. An in-person presentation to the Policy Engagement and Communications (PEC) team at APHRC on completion of the strategy and prior to launch.
(c) APHRC Support
We will share electronically, all existing databases, reports and documents required for this assignment including existing list of key audiences, media and journalists.
(d)Timeframe and Budget
The Media and Social Media strategies are scheduled for implementation beginning June 1, 2017.
Meet with APHRC team to review needs in-depth, understand asks
Submit detailed work plan for approval.It should include:
Meet with key PEC team members for primary data collection
Writing, first draft submitted for feedback, editing, second draft submitted for feedback, further edits incorporated, and move to approval, design of strategies, and launch of Strategy June 1, 2017.
(e) Skills and Experience
Graduate professional with consistent 7 years+ experience in media, development communication and/or social science.
In-depth understanding and knowledge of African context, and related media agenda.
Strong track record of development and delivery of media and social media strategies.
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Creative, innovative thinker who can work within tight deadlines.
How to apply
Respond with a proposed approach, timeline and budget which will be a basis for initial discussions with APHRC. In addition, 2 samples of similar work undertaken in the past, and CV/Resume should all be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, copied to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by April 21, 2017 at midnight EAT.